YouTube of NOAA Satellite Mapping Lightning
Lightbulb 
Lightning Lightning New March 1, 2022, NOAA GOES -18 Lightning Mapper Satellite data is published in this public YouTube link Lightning Lightning Lightning

https://youtu.be/lgvz4_qG7i8
Stations: 671, 1699, 1723
Quote:The Geostationary Lightning Mapper (GLM) instrument, onboard NOAA’s GOES-18 satellite, is now providing striking lightning observations of the Western Hemisphere. GOES-18 launched on March 1, 2022.

GLM detects and maps total lightning—in-cloud, cloud-to-cloud, and cloud-to-ground—continuously over the Americas and adjacent ocean regions. GLM offers insights beyond the presence of a lightning strike, revealing the extent of lightning flashes and the distance they travel.

Rapid increases in total lightning activity often precede severe and tornadic thunderstorms. Characterizing lightning activity in storms allows forecasters to identify intensifying storms before they produce damaging winds, hail or tornadoes. GLM data enable forecasters to detect electrically active storms, determine the extent of the lightning threat, identify strengthening and weakening storms, monitor storm evolution, and supplement radar data where coverage is poor.

From the YT description.
--
Station 2828 - LM or BT
Stations: 2828
(2022-06-05, 09:12)mendip_defender Wrote:
Quote:The Geostationary Lightning Mapper (GLM) instrument, onboard NOAA’s GOES-18 satellite, is now providing striking lightning observations of the Western Hemisphere. GOES-18 launched on March 1, 2022.

GLM detects and maps total lightning—in-cloud, cloud-to-cloud, and cloud-to-ground—continuously over the Americas and adjacent ocean regions. GLM offers insights beyond the presence of a lightning strike, revealing the extent of lightning flashes and the distance they travel.

Rapid increases in total lightning activity often precede severe and tornadic thunderstorms. Characterizing lightning activity in storms allows forecasters to identify intensifying storms before they produce damaging winds, hail or tornadoes. GLM data enable forecasters to detect electrically active storms, determine the extent of the lightning threat, identify strengthening and weakening storms, monitor storm evolution, and supplement radar data where coverage is poor.

From the YT description.

Could this mean that we as the Blitzortung community are about to go down in history?

Peter
Stations: 2629
Hi,

Interesting results from NOAA but I guess now Blitzortung can be taken more seriuosly.

I think this is an opportunity to compare Blitzortung data ( amateurs ) versus NOAA GOES-18 satelite data ( professionals ) and perhaps Blitzortung now can  be used also as serious data for climate prediction ?

¿?
Station  2488
(2022-06-21, 14:41)NHSA_Rainer Wrote: Hi,

Interesting results from NOAA but I guess now Blitzortung can be taken more seriuosly.

I think this is an opportunity to compare Blitzortung data ( amateurs ) versus NOAA GOES-18 satelite data ( professionals ) and perhaps Blitzortung now can  be used also as serious data for climate prediction ?

¿?

Hi,
Already have the results of this data comparison? Please pm me!
Looks like no one has the answer to this question yet. I am also interested in this issue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another lightning article, 3D mapping at Washington, D.C., USA Dale.Reid 0 4,392 2020-11-15, 12:56
Last Post: Dale.Reid