LightningMaps.org - Blue Dot in Wrong Place
Is it possible to manually position the "blue dot" on the map? The reason I want to do that is the dot is always in the wrong place, and it seems to change each day I visit the site. It's roughly 10km off today.
(2024-08-04, 14:19)GlenVision Wrote: Is it possible to manually position the "blue dot" on the map? The reason I want to do that is the dot is always in the wrong place, and it seems to change each day I visit the site. It's roughly 10km off today.

No. Those are "public" maps. The station locations are purposefully misrepresented / offset to comply with various 'country' privacy laws/ regulations. This does NOT affect the approximate Stroke locations, however.

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
I'm not interested in accurate station locations. I'm strictly interested in accurately plotting MY own current location on the map, by manually positioning the bold blue dot that represents my location. If I could enter the precise latitude and longitude for my location, and have the blue dot that represents my location displayed exactly there, that would be terrific.

It would be especially handy when I have the rain radar overlay activated, because the radar info is opaque and obscures the map underneath, making it hard to accurately see my location on the map. If the blue dot were accurate, it would be easily visible and easy to see my exact location, even with rain radar activated.

Since I cannot invade my own privacy, there are no privacy concerns involved here.  Smile
(2024-08-04, 15:11)GlenVision Wrote: I'm not interested in accurate station locations. I'm strictly interested in accurately plotting MY own current location on the map, by manually positioning the bold blue dot that represents my location. If I could enter the precise latitude and longitude for my location, and have the blue dot that represents my location displayed exactly there, that would be terrific.

It would be especially handy when I have the rain radar overlay activated, because the radar info is opaque and obscures the map underneath, making it hard to accurately see my location on the map. If the blue dot were accurate, it would be easily visible and easy to see my exact location, even with rain radar activated.

Since I cannot invade my own privacy, there are no privacy concerns involved here.  Smile

Assume you refer to the Lightningmaps.org for rain overlay, which is adjunct website owned by Tobi.  Image here refers to Blitzortung Vector maps, but the idea should be similar. No guarantees, but when I set up this way, it always works, UNTIL I clear browser cookies, history, etc. And you DO potentially invade your own privacy when you allow such settings. Not likely with us, BUT we have no control over who else is following you.  

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
Its not the websites fault its the data your browser has. If you are on a mobile it will use the nearest phone mast unless you have GPS on at which point it goes to that.

With a home PC or if you are in a building and using WiFi then its based on the location that you browser sends to the website which is not always best.
--
Station 2828 - LM or BT
Stations: 2828

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wrong Position on Lightningmaps Peter.Altschul 1 13,186 2014-08-10, 17:19
Last Post: RichoAnd