LightningMaps.org: Real-time Lightning Map
Due to some requests, there's now a view which visualizes speed of (thunder-)sound on high zoom levels. Cool Lightning

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
The zoom feature seems difficult to control. When I use either the scroll wheel or the +/- controls on the screen I get several zoom "steps" instead of one for each click. Is there a way to not have the multiple zoom steps per click? One per +/- or scroll wheel detent would be ideal.

Greg
Stations: 706, 1682
(2014-06-21, 13:10)HamelGre Wrote: The zoom feature seems difficult to control. When I use either the scroll wheel or the +/- controls on the screen I get several zoom "steps" instead of one for each click. Is there a way to not have the multiple zoom steps per click? One per +/- or scroll wheel detent would be ideal.
The map uses the standard Google zoom functionality with mouse wheel enabled. Here it's working as expected: 1 zoom step per +/- or mouse wheel.
I just noticed the thunder feature. I thought some days ago that it would be really nice to see it visualized.
Now that it is already implemented a few days later just blows my mind Big Grin

I just want to say thanks because the whole realtime map is so awesome i cant even describe how nice it is.

Thaaanks!! Heart
Love this site and am planning on buying station for my home in Cedar Park, Texas (NW of Austin, Tx.)

Reminds me of efforts I made in 1999/2000 for a product I called LiveStrike.

http://youtu.be/QD97EP1k3Xw

keep up the great work!

-shawn
I am still trying to get the hang of this forum thing. I don't have a clue...sorry guys.
But I just have probly what is a simple question, looking for an answer if there is one.

Why is north America seem to have the most severe activity? Is this all the time? Why? What is the cause/reason?

I do not see that much activity anywhere else in the world.........
(2014-05-09, 16:37)Tobi Wrote: Hi folks,

here is something new: http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime
Interesting but quite cryptical...
What do colors mean?
What does circle radius mean?
What do expanding circles mean?
Does it exist a wiki?
(2014-06-26, 12:25)jumpjack Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 16:37)Tobi Wrote: Hi folks,

here is something new: http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime
Interesting but quite cryptical...
What do colors mean?
What does circle radius mean?
What do expanding circles mean?
Does it exist a wiki?

The colors for strikes indicate age, with white being the newest strikes and shading to dark red/brown for the oldest.

The colors of the lines to stations indicate distance.

The expanding circles when zoomed out are for clarity. When zoomed in, the slowly-expanding circles represent estimated thunder sound fronts.

Also, when zoomed in, the fixed circles around each strike indicate estimated locating error.
Stations: 1013
North America simply has more lightning activity.

Warm air from the Gulf of Mexico collides with cooler air from Canada over the Great Plains and triggers massive thunderstorm activity during the Spring/Summer storm season.

Lightning is only shown where there are groups of in-range detectors installed. That's why Africa shows no strikes! You can get an idea of typical detection range of a station by observing the lines on the real-time map with the "Stations: on" setting.

Best,

Don
WD9DMP

(2014-06-26, 04:21)jade Wrote: I am still trying to get the hang of this forum thing. I don't have a clue...sorry guys.
But I just have probly what is a simple question, looking for an answer if there is one.

Why is north America seem to have the most severe activity? Is this all the time? Why? What is the cause/reason?

I do not see that much activity anywhere else in the world.........
Stations:
Yes, Donald is right! There is much more lightning activity in Northern America: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...quency.png

However, from what I've seen on some media, there are more goals for Germany than for the North American continent (at least for today).
SCNR Big Grin Cool Tongue Lightning
(2014-06-26, 17:57)Tobi Wrote: Yes, Donald is right! There is much more lightning activity in Northern America: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...quency.png

However, from what I've seen on some media, there are more goals for Germany than for the North American continent (at least for today).
SCNR Big Grin Cool Tongue Lightning
You do need a hiatus,.... go play with the hole in your tee-shirt... Tongue Rolleyes

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
The popups what shows up when click on ex "Stations on/off" will never disappear in Android default browser. This do those buttons totally useless....

// Henkka
Stations: 1600
There was some major update today due to memory leaks and graphic issues with Chrome.

A small feature has also been added: In "Stations on" mode, the stations whose signals where really used to compute the location are shown in pink instead of green. It's just to get a very quick overview which makes it possible to see the distribution of stations at a glance. Additionally the lines of those stations have some more weight, so you can still see the difference on higher zoom levels when most stations are out of view.

(2014-07-13, 13:43)weatherc Wrote: The popups what shows up when click on ex "Stations on/off" will never disappear in Android default browser. This do those buttons totally useless....
Yep, the original design wasn't made for mobile devices. There are a lot of more things which have to be fixed, renewed and added. That's why it's still beta...
Great Job !

Is it possible to give own station(s) an other color/symbol ... ?

Thomas
First station in Namibia (Southern Africa), look at #1305 !
Stations: 1006, 1305
(2014-07-13, 15:50)Knickohr Wrote: Is it possible to give own station(s) an other color/symbol ... ?
No, but good idea. It's on the to do list.
Lightning

Thomas
First station in Namibia (Southern Africa), look at #1305 !
Stations: 1006, 1305
Is it possible to indicate on the realtime map when a station detects a strike, even if it's not used for positioning the strike ? ( aka a brighter green color for the station as for those that get the line drawn to it ? )

I notice that when I have my "signals" page open in one window, and the realtime screen in another, that my signal "beeps" quite a lot (reals detected strikes according to waveform), but the stations seems almost "dead" on the realtime window.
I even have heard the beeps interval repeated by the ticks from the realtime window, a few sec's
later... but still seems like a dead station at the realtime....

Some of the fun when you have a station at a distance from the "crowd", is to see how far your station is detecting strikes... Smile

btw; Here are my facebook "lightening scrapbook"
https://www.facebook.com/a.aamot/media_s...573&type=3

Regards, Asbjørn Aamot
Florø
Norway
Stations: 1028
i did a quick video that show how i looks on a android tablet
performance is very bad on google maps with chrome Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg3jFBayGLs
Stations: 551
A beep does not mean a valid, or a usable 'stroke'. It beeps on any signal, noise, car, pet fence, switch, etc that causes a trigger.... If you're not seeing signals on the Participants page, or low values, or not seeing them on the map, it could mean that most of your signals are noise.

1028 Florø Norway Running 2014-07-15 01:31 257 0 | 0% 0 | 0% 26 | 3%

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2014-07-14, 23:31)Cutty Wrote: A beep does not mean a valid, or a usable 'stroke'. It beeps on any signal, noise, car, pet fence, switch, etc that causes a trigger.... If you're not seeing signals on the Participants page, or low values, or not seeing them on the map, it could mean that most of your signals are noise.

1028 Florø Norway Running 2014-07-15 01:31 257 0 | 0% 0 | 0% 26 | 3%

I know that there is some noise, and I had it worse earlier.
But lately it seems to be a lot of good signals, according to waveform, and the status page :

SignalsReceived: 36255, Good: 31529, Sent: 31511
Signal RateLast second: 0, Last 60s: 0.7
as of :
RTC time2014-07-15 17:05:38
Running for13h, 5m

I also see that I get "credit" for almost every strike closer to home, but more rarely when there is a bigger distance.
Of course, this is also dependent on signal strength, and with more distance, the weaker the signals will be.
Ill make a video to show what I mean, and put it on Youtube...

Regards, Asbjorn
Stations: 1028

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No sound in Blitzortung.org Real Time Maps with FF >= 52.0 on Linux nerd65 1 13,474 2017-05-08, 08:31
Last Post: nerd65
  Web Page Real-Time Updates jkrob 6 37,405 2017-05-07, 13:19
Last Post: cutty
  Cycles time lightning alert website Phoenix-Blue 2 18,612 2016-03-28, 21:11
Last Post: Tobi
  Time lightning alert Phoenix-Blue 0 8,640 2015-08-23, 15:39
Last Post: Phoenix-Blue