Issues With Internet Explorer Not Showing Me Active & Current Lightning Strikes?
[attachment=1387]Hello. Nice to meet you all! This is my first posting on this forum.

I am having an issue with your website LightningMaps.org on my Windows 7's Internet Explorer web browser. Now, the last few days, when I open the webpage for LightningMaps.org [http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en], I do not see any active and current lighting strikes demonstrated when indeed there are lightning strikes outside my area. All I see in the larger interactive centered (main) Norton American continent map is NO lightning activity. However I can see on the LightningMaps.org window to the far left side of the larger centered (main) interactive North American map, a miniaturized static North American map with the actual lightning strikes represented (under "Lightning in USA"). I do not know why the larger centered (main) North American map no longer shows any active and recent lightning strikes? Something somehow has stopped active and recent lightning strikes from appearing on the main interactive North American continent map. I have not changed any settings or configurations here. I have attached a screen clipping of the “Lightning” window (LightningMaps.org) to demonstrate what I now see for your inspection.

Then it got me thinking, what if this issue was related to the web browser itself. I decided to use Firefox web browser for your URL [http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en]. I have always used IE as my web browser. When I click on this weblink for LightningMaps.org, I get Firefox to open SHOWING me the current lightning strikes on the larger centered (main) interactive North American continent! GOOD! So what is the issue with Internet Explorer not showing show active and current lightning strikes on the larger centered (main) interactive North American map?

I would like to have Internet Explorer show active and current lightning strikes on the larger centered (main) interactive North American map too. Has it got something to do with Internet Explorer and that larger main interactive map where IE blocks in some manner the maps interactive features in some way?

Please provide me the solution to this issue or if you do not have the solution, lets effectively troubleshoot to find the solution.

Let's face it, the website’s interactive/animated features for LightningMaps.org are pretty advanced.

Please reply.

Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You use IE7 which is much too old for the technology used on Lightningmaps.org. Please upgrade your browser!
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
(2014-09-07, 21:54)Tobi Wrote: You use IE7 which is much too old for the technology used on Lightningmaps.org. Please upgrade your browser!

@ Tobi:

Hello. Nice to meet you.

Thank you for your reply.

Actually the version of IE I have is IE9, not IE7. IE7 was the IE baseline IE for Windows Vista. I did upgrade to IE11 and I see now the interactive main center screen of the North American continent does show lightning strikes now! Great! However, this does not make sense! I DID HAVE the lightning strikes showing at first with IE9 before it stopped?!?

I have to ask you this then:

1. What is the lowest/oldest version of IE that one can have that works with Lightningmaps.org (Has to be either IE10 or IE11)?
2. What specific component(s), driver(s), module(s), codec(s) or language code(s) in IE (or any web browser for that matter) is required to have the interactive animated lightning strikes to appear on the main center screen of the North American continent map? Please explain.

Please reply.

Thank you!
I'll have a shot at this.

lightningmaps.org uses a relatively new technology called WebSockets to transmit the live data. Websockets however is not supported until IE10 (see http://caniuse.com/#feat=websockets). This is fairly typical with IE being a few years behind supporting newer web technology compared to other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox.

I assume the reason lightningmaps.org uses Websockets is because it is much faster and much more efficient than doing things the old way which was to have every client poll the webserver every 5 seconds to check for new data.

Hence, if you wish to view the site then you're either going to have to upgrade to at least IE10 or change browsers.

Note: I have nothing to do with lightningmaps.org- I am just inferring this from looking at the code
(2014-09-08, 05:29)AR_aus Wrote: I'll have a shot at this.

lightningmaps.org uses a relatively new technology called WebSockets to transmit the live data. Websockets however is not supported until IE10 (see http://caniuse.com/#feat=websockets). This is fairly typical with IE being a few years behind supporting newer web technology compared to other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox.

I assume the reason lightningmaps.org uses Websockets is because it is much faster and much more efficient than doing things the old way which was to have every client poll the webserver every 5 seconds to check for new data.

Hence, if you wish to view the site then you're either going to have to upgrade to at least IE10 or change browsers.

Note: I have nothing to do with lightningmaps.org- I am just inferring this from looking at the code

@ Ar_aus:

Hello. Nice to meet you!

Thank you. So I was using a version of the IE web browser that was JUST pre-compatible with this interactive map.

So it was the lack of this new technology that was causing the issues.

Thank you very much!
There was a bug and the map now works again with older browsers that don't support Websocket technology. However, we always recommend to use a modern web browser.
(2014-09-08, 09:37)Tobi Wrote: There was a bug and the map now works again with older browsers that don't support Websocket technology. However, we always recommend to use a modern web browser.

@ Tobi:

Hello again. Thanks for your reply.

May I ask how older web browsers WITHOUT Websocket technology able to work with that larger interactive North American continent? Please explain the reason why? Be technical if you would like. Thank you!

Please reply.

Thank you!
If Websocket is not possible, long pull XML HTTP requests will be used. They are not so fast and flexible, and they also create some more load on the server.
(2014-09-09, 09:24)Tobi Wrote: If Websocket is not possible, long pull XML HTTP requests will be used. They are not so fast and flexible, and they also create some more load on the server.

@ Tobi:

Hello again.

Okay, so can I conclude that IE9 and older IE versions (IE8 and IE7) would instead use "long pull XML HTTP requests" then with that larger interactive North American continent showing lightning strikes? Please explain if need be.

Please reply.

Thanks again!
Yes. The size of the region doesn't matter.
@ Tobi & Ar_aus:

Now I understand! Wink

Thank you both again!

Take care!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Strikes not showing after Firefox 39 update. Irish_Steve 14 68,801 2019-06-18, 10:04
Last Post: cutty
  Lightningmaps.org still semi-active after 1 month dalex 2 13,184 2018-12-11, 18:12
Last Post: Tobi
  LightningMaps.org having issues? piepants 14 65,532 2017-11-24, 08:48
Last Post: readbueno