Looking to setup station in South Africa
Hi all,

I'm interested in setting up a station in South Africa and wondered if there are any other potential users out there in South Africa looking to setup a station.

I am located in Pretoria at approximately -25.849041°, 28.228571° and am looking to hear from you !

Roger
Great !

You will build up a station in South Africa ?

I will install one in Namibia 200km southeast from Windhoek.

S 23° 27' 39,0" / E 18° 01' 04,0"

If we get another 2 or more stations running, we are able to locate strikes in South Africa.

Thomas
First station in Namibia (Southern Africa), look at #1305 !
Stations: 1006, 1305
Hi Thomas,

Indeed, I will setup a station once new H/W becomes available.

Note I had a response from site administration in response to a query of mine at the beginning of December indicating that 4 units have already been shipped to interested participants in South Africa! I am not sure of their location(s). Those units are not yet assembled or reporting yet. So if everything goes well with their individual builds I guess pretty soon we should see some activity appearing on our map.

We've had some pretty epic lightning and storms here in our parts the last month or so, our seasonal peak for thunderstorms. Looking forward to having it covered.

Roger
Roger, that's great.

I think at the middle of the year, South Africa is present at the maps.

I've some spare parts here to to build 2 or 3 stations, but I've no PCBs :-(

I will go to Namibia in April, so if we get new harware, is's possible to build up a station at Farm Tivoli.

Thomas
Hi !

Station 1305 for Farm Tivoli is ready to start up !

I've build up the station the last days and it is now running under test here in germany. Will go to Namibia in 5 weeks to install the station. Hope all is going OK.

Thomas
Great to hear Thomas! Smile

I hope the stations, which have been sent to South Africa last year, will go online too.
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
Hey Knickohr

I have question to you, I am just courious.
Do you do this station for some one or just for yourself? Do you have someone who will get service for those station in Namibia? If some will happen?

If everything will go good your station will be first at African continet.

Best Regards

Sorry for english
Stations: 1227
Hi !

No, this is my station. I will install it on the farm and maintenance it. My station in Germany works well, only once or twice a week I do an remote access to check the station.

Thomas
It is my hobby to check map for finding new stations in new areas, I remember first staions in New Zealand, Australia, USA, Colombia, Brazil, Thailand. Now it is time for Africa.

Best Regards
I guess stations from europe will be used as long as there is only one station in africa?
I'm confident that I hear some Signals from Africa, especially during (african) summer nights. Pretty few though, considering central Africa is the region with the highest strike density in the world.

Stations: 233
Hello Knickohr

How about your trip to Namibia? Are you ready or maybe you are in yourney?

I did found the farm, is it some of astronomical farm? used for science issues?

Best regards
Gregory,

my airplane goes on Thursday morning, will arrive same day very late. Installation of the station is planned on Saturday. Hope all is OK, because there is 180km no distributor or other shopping market.

No, it's an guest farm for astronomers, they do no science. It's a cattle & cow farm, a typical Namibian farm. The only special thing is that this farm serves some hobby astronomers to do their hobby in wintertime (April to September). Look at http://www.tivoli-astrofarm.de

Updates here : https://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread.php?tid=1216

Yes, I think the nearest stations from Europe (8000km ???) will be used. It's planned to build up 4 more stations in South Africa. Some Kits are on the way, I hope stations will go online in a few weeks. Look at Roger (thread starter), he plans a station at Pretoria. Thats perfect, "only" 1000km away. But it's not enough, we need at least 2 stations more.

Thomas
(2014-12-05, 07:37)rogerpaulthompson Wrote: Hi all,

I'm interested in setting up a station in South Africa and wondered if there are any other potential users out there in South Africa looking to setup a station.

I am located in Pretoria at approximately -25.849041°, 28.228571° and am looking to hear from you !

Roger

Hi Roger,

I'm from South Africa (Wolmaransstad) and finished building my system today. I noticed Knickohr's station in Namibia two days ago and that inspired me to finish my station.

I'm still trying to find my way with the installation though, but hope to become the second station owner in Africa soon.
Stations: 1332
Cool,

waiting for some "blue lines" from Wolmaransstad on the map !

Thomas
(2015-04-15, 14:37)Jacquesvw Wrote:
(2014-12-05, 07:37)rogerpaulthompson Wrote: Hi all,

Roger

Hi Roger,

I'm from South Africa (Wolmaransstad) and finished building my system today. I noticed Knickohr's station in Namibia two days ago and that inspired me to finish my station.

I'm still trying to find my way with the installation though, but hope to become the second station owner in Africa soon.

Hi Jacques !

Good job on wrapping it up and getting your station on line ! Your station together with Thomas's station in Namibia brings Africa to life !  

It's been a while since I was on the forums, been away waiting for the new hardware to be made available. But good thing I checked back in as I see was was not receiving email notifications of this topic's activity ( I have subsequently changed notification settings on my profile). It's good to see some activity on this topic ! :-)

You don't perhaps have any word on where the "other three" stations shipped to SA are planned to be stationed do you ?

Regards,
Roger
For those of you who are trying to setup a RED station and haven't found the WXFORUM forum, I would suggest that you go to the following link. There, you will find a large amount of information on setting-up your station. It's an English-only forum but most of you seem to speak/write English very well so you shouldn't have any problems with the translation. If you do have questions, don't hesitate to post them in the forum.
It's great to see some new stations about to come on-line soon! Congratulations to those enhancing our coverage in Africa.
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada - U.S.A. --- Blitzortung Station: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KRNO2
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37S70, StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech C920 Pro USB webcam w/Hubble fix
[img=0x0]http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com/cvwx-banner.gif[/img]
Stations: 808
Quote:Hi Jacques !

Good job on wrapping it up and getting your station on line ! Your station together with Thomas's station in Namibia brings Africa to life !  

It's been a while since I was on the forums, been away waiting for the new hardware to be made available. But good thing I checked back in as I see was was not receiving email notifications of this topic's activity ( I have subsequently changed notification settings on my profile). It's good to see some activity on this topic ! :-)

You don't perhaps have any word on where the "other three" stations shipped to SA are planned to be stationed do you ?

Regards,
Roger

Thanks Roger.

I have no idea what's happening with the other stations.
I'm too.

Don't know where all the other stations for Africa are Sad

But today, I'm not very happy. Internet-connection is lost very often. Can't do anything, because I'm back in Germany since a few hours.

Thomas
Thomas, how are you connecting the NAM station the the internet, do you use a cellular modem/gateway?
WiMax

Long distance WiFi. There is no other option Sad

http://www.telecom.na/index.php/speedlink-home

Thomas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lightning strikes displayed in South Africa GBeS29 3 16,368 2021-11-05, 09:31
Last Post: devilmaycry
  South East Asia possibilties Dan 0 2,888 2021-10-02, 11:43
Last Post: Dan
  Africa joseph.uzoagba@alphamead.com 8 36,793 2018-12-31, 16:49
Last Post: rogerpaulthompson
  East Africa nvandegiesen 4 22,135 2017-10-30, 16:51
Last Post: pasense
  Looking to setup a new station near Barcelone VLorz 5 29,127 2016-04-02, 09:57
Last Post: VLorz