New Station Registration Questions
Got my station main box running without issues.  Got the account creation link via the Station GUI, and submitted registration.

Message that I would receive activation link at the registration email.

Question:  How long does it usually take before the activation email arrives?  No sign of it.  Have checked all folders (junk/spam, et al).
Stations: 1961
Mine was in the junk folder. It came immediately. Is there a link that you can resend the registration link?
Stations: 1955
Hasn't shown up and I am unaware of a place to ask for a resend of the activation email...  Sad
Still no activation email... Sad
Me neither!

Brian,
Sorry, I can not find any problems. If it's still not working, then please send us an email.
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
(2017-08-12, 15:33)Tobi Wrote: Sorry, I can not find any problems. If it's still not working, then please send us an email.

Which email...  I sent an email to the email Egon sent from for me to get my station ordered and it is in a delayed, pending bounce status.

You can post the email here or email ME (my forum email account)....

Never mind...  post the email here or email be the email address to cautery@montac.com (my MAIN email).  The email on this forum account is my call sign to the same domain.
PS - My station ID is 1961...
Sorry, the email is info@blitzortung.org.

However, I found your registration and sent a password link. If you didn't get anything, then contact us via email.
Thanks Tobi, 1935 is just about ready to try, I am just waiting for an external GPS antenna, its been over two weeks, so I hope it will come in the next few days.
Kindest regards,

Brian.
Still nothing Tobi.... I sent an email with what I believe to be the issue, a troubleshooting step to confirm, and a solution. Thank you SO much for your assistance. I really am trying to get this station on the air to assist in the overall effort.
Note: Looking at the headers of the email sent from blitzortung@gmx.org to my GMAIL addy, I found the IP address it came from. Sure enough, it was in the middle of an /09 block of banned IP addresses.

I have created a carve out for the ISP block containing that address. Hopefully that will include the IPs used for the email servers for Blitzortung.org emails.

Can you try to send me the activation link again?
Done.

FYI: I was using this form here: https://www.lightningmaps.org/user/password
Thanks, Tobi... the password reset link was very helpful. I'm logged in and I think I have all relevant IPs explicitly allowed and in the ignore lists.
Tobi....  tried to send you a PM on this, but you have them disabled.  The info@blitzortung.org email is delaying/bouncing email for "insufficient storage".  That would be a critical error on my server:

info@blitzortung.org
   host mx20.kundencontroller.de [85.31.185.119]
   Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after pipelined MAIL FROM:<cautery@montac.com> SIZE=4575:
   452 4.3.1 Insufficient system storage

And I am STILL not getting email notices for posts to threads I am subscribed to, so there is obviously at least one more IP I don't know about.
Can you not look in the logs of blocked connection attempts at around the time a new post appears in a thread you are subcribed to *and* have email notifications for turn on?

Whilst spam can be a problem blocking huge IP ranges is, IMHO, using a sledge hammer to crack a nut and highly likely to have unintended effects. I also run my own email server and get between zero and one spam email per week in my inbox.

The vast majority is trapped before being queued by http://www.spamhaus.org, a few by http://www.uceprotect.net or http://www.spamcop.net and a plugin that checks that the sender waits for the SMTP greeting. Spamassassin weeds out almost everything else from messages that actually get queued.

My server has denied 575 connections over the last 4d 19h 38m. At least that's what my script that parses the qpsmtpd log file tells me, however the log format changed slightly recently and I'm not sure that is capturing all the "denied" emails. I seem to remember that 500 denied connections/day was not uncommon but spam attempts do vary quite a bit.
Cheers
Dave.

Stations: 1627
(2017-08-16, 20:49)allsorts Wrote: Can you not look in the logs of blocked connection attempts at around the time a new post appears in a thread you are subcribed to *and* have email notifications for turn on?

Whilst spam can be a problem blocking huge IP ranges is, IMHO, using a sledge hammer to crack a nut and highly likely to have unintended effects. I also run my own email server and get between zero and one spam email per week in my inbox.

The vast majority is trapped before being queued by http://www.spamhaus.org, a few by http://www.uceprotect.net or http://www.spamcop.net and a plugin that checks that the sender waits for the SMTP greeting. Spamassassin weeds out almost everything else from messages that actually get queued.

My server has denied 575 connections over the last 4d 19h 38m. At least that's what my script that parses the qpsmtpd log file tells me, however the log format changed slightly recently and I'm not sure that is capturing all the "denied" emails. I seem to remember that 500 denied connections/day was not uncommon but spam attempts do vary quite a bit.

It's not a matter of keeping spam out of MY mailbox.  It's not a matter of SPAM or email at all really.  It's a matter of stopping the foreign HACKERS who are CONSTANTLY attacking my server trying to compromise my CLIENTS.

Bottom Line:  If you are an IP address range owner, I tell you when bad actors are using your IP range...  If you fail to address the issue (as you are REQUIRED to do), I ban your IP range and report you.

PS - The info@blitzortung.org email is still delayed delivery claiming insufficient storage.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 72 hours on the queue on accucl387.cr1.com.

The message identifier is:     1dgxT8-0001LB-5H
The subject of the message is: Station 1961, no activation email...
The date of the message is:    Sun, 13 Aug 2017 13:18:33 -0500

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

info@blitzortung.org
   Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after pipelined MAIL FROM:<cautery@montac.com> SIZE=4575:
   452 4.3.1 Insufficient system storage

No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for
some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message
remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up,
and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

The email server is bouncing emails!

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

info@blitzortung.org

SMTP error from remote mail server after pipelined MAIL FROM:<cautery@montac.com> SIZE=4575:

452 4.3.1 Insufficient system storage: retry timeout exceeded
This error message is strange, because on our side everything seems to work. However, the domain montac.com cannot be resolved, which might be the reason for the error message. The whois record of montac.com lists the nameserver xx.montac.net. But montac.net again shows nameservers xx.montac.net.

Almost no MTA will accept emails from a domain without an IP because of spam protection.

You can also try mail at lightningmaps.org which is another mail server.
Tobi, et al.... just to close the loop on this deal. Apologize, my life got really "interesting" in September before I figured this one out...

Here's the deal... the "issue" is on MY end. ALL of my email addresses run through MY server at a COLO center... Because of the nature of some of my clients, I run an extremely secure server as far as IP addresses.... ANY attempt to hack my server from an IP address, and the ENTIRE ISP's IP address range is banned until I receive a response from the ISP addressing the hacking... Usually there is no response.

It would appear that the IP addresses being used by Blitzortung have been swept up in this practice. And I have tried to add the ones I was provided to the "allow" and "ignore" list".... Never found the right ones.

So, I have changed my email for the Project and Forums to my gmail addy.... Not ideal but it works...

Unfortunately, that means I will likely get passed over whenever either of my emails comes back up on the kit wait list... Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interested in setting up a station - Questions Ristake 10 51,068 2017-08-14, 15:13
Last Post: LaurentB
  New station registration issues pjb01 2 16,402 2017-08-01, 00:38
Last Post: readbueno
  Some questions for begin of station work hashemiyan 1 11,467 2016-05-16, 13:59
Last Post: DelandeC
  Setting up a new station and Data Usage questions Avery 3 20,207 2016-05-02, 00:26
Last Post: dalek