GPS data via tcp/ip
Hello,

how feasible would it be for System Blue to optionally serve GPS data via tcp/ip? I've recently set up a Raspberry Pi for ADS-B reception purposes and it would nice to have access to GPS data but I don't want to have GPS antennas all over. Since System Blue already connects to the network AND has a GPS receiver, it would be a very useful option to have.

If the developers are too busy for this kind of thing, I would gladly implement such a feature.
(2021-08-09, 19:01)pmichniewski Wrote: Hello,

how feasible would it be for System Blue to optionally serve GPS data via tcp/ip? I've recently set up a Raspberry Pi for ADS-B reception purposes and it would nice to have access to GPS data but I don't want to have GPS antennas all over. Since System Blue already connects to the network AND has a GPS receiver, it would be a very useful option to have.

If the developers are too busy for this kind of thing, I would gladly implement such a feature.
The controller already has that function build in. Please read the added comments.

[Image: NOAARADlogoTXT80.png]

Stations: 2100, 2954
This only mentions NTP functionality. What I am asking about is forwarding full NMEA sentences over the network.
(2021-08-10, 21:04)pmichniewski Wrote: This only mentions NTP functionality. What I am asking about is forwarding full NMEA sentences over the network.
I am not clear on why you need full NMEA protocol. If you use Flightaware, then you can set your location manually. Once set, there is no need to constantly update the PI location.
Tracking ADSB aircraft is not that time sensitive as it listens to the ADSB messages sent by the aircraft with accurate time stamps. MLAT needs to have the time more precise as you need to sync with other receivers to pin point the location of a MLAT only aircraft.
You can set your PI to sync from a number of NTP servers to update the time.

(2021-08-10, 21:33)dupreezd Wrote:
(2021-08-10, 21:04)pmichniewski Wrote: This only mentions NTP functionality. What I am asking about is forwarding full NMEA sentences over the network.
I am not clear on why you need full NMEA protocol. If you use Flightaware, then you can set your location manually. Once set, there is no need to constantly update the PI location.
Tracking ADSB aircraft is not that time sensitive as it listens to the ADSB messages sent by the aircraft with accurate time stamps. MLAT needs to have the time more precise as you need to sync with other receivers to pin point the location of a MLAT only aircraft.
You can set you PI to sync from a number of NTP servers to update the time.

I only used ads-b as an example. I have many uses for having NMEA data available on my network, including ham radio related stuff. I just thought of it as a nice feature to have, since all of the required building blocks are already there. If you think that this is not at all useful, then I will shut up.
(2021-08-10, 21:40)pmichniewski Wrote:
(2021-08-10, 21:33)dupreezd Wrote:
You can set you PI to sync from a number of NTP servers to update the time.

I only used ads-b as an example. I have many uses for having NMEA data available on my network, including ham radio related stuff. I just thought of it as a nice feature to have, since all of the required building blocks are already there. If you think that this is not at all useful, then I will shut up.
Ahh, that makes more sense.
I am the last person to say it is not useful, there are many hams here, I am not. They might chime in.

If you do decide to do it, keep us posted.

(2021-08-10, 22:04)dupreezd Wrote:
(2021-08-10, 21:40)pmichniewski Wrote: I only used ads-b as an example. I have many uses for having NMEA data available on my network, including ham radio related stuff. I just thought of it as a nice feature to have, since all of the required building blocks are already there. If you think that this is not at all useful, then I will shut up.
I am the last person to say it is not useful, there are many hams here, I am not. They might chime in.

Like I said - I would gladly implement this but I haven't seen any mentions of ways to contribute code to the project. Am I missing something?
(2021-08-10, 22:10)pmichniewski Wrote:
(2021-08-10, 22:04)dupreezd Wrote:
(2021-08-10, 21:40)pmichniewski Wrote: I only used ads-b as an example. I have many uses for having NMEA data available on my network, including ham radio related stuff. I just thought of it as a nice feature to have, since all of the required building blocks are already there. If you think that this is not at all useful, then I will shut up.

Like I said - I would gladly implement this but I haven't seen any mentions of ways to contribute code to the project. Am I missing something?
Please go here and register so we can upgrade you to a participant. This will give you access to the internal forum which contains much more information.

https://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread...t=register