System Blue 19.5 PCB
Hi,
   I have a System Blue PCB 19.5.
I followed the instructions for 19.4 and removed the onboard voltage regulator. Is there an external regulator that is required or should I have left the onboard regulator on?
 Is 19.5 a good functioning board? I can't find references to it on the web site, a friend in Massachusetts obtained a System Blue at approximately the same time as I received mine and was never able to get it to work and he is a very experienced electrical engineer.
Thank you,
Warren K2ORS
The instructions specifically refer to two early board versions, test release and first early release 19.1 & 19.2, yours is not included.
Bummer.  Hope you saved the old regulator. Your system has no hope of powering up without it!!!!
"...the voltage regulators of the boards PCB 19.1 and PCB 19.2 are not adequate for the current consumption of the boards. This problem is eliminated by the piggyback board PCB 21."

The receivers will NOT send to the network until the server sees them on line, and you have registered your system
It will NOT completely activate and be capable of sending data until it acquires a GPS lock.

You must follow instructions in Section 4 of the online instructions to activate your receiver on the server account.
If you leave "anonym" as 'Y'... that makes you 'anonymous', and NONE of your data will display in site data presentations.  Change to 'Y'.
Configure your antenna designes explicitly by type and dimensions.. Server positions begin as '0' for controller channel 1, etc.
0=H1 1=H2  2=H3... undefined if not used.
3 is ALWAYS E probe.  4 and 5 undefined for system BLUE.

Once acknowledged as active, this will NOT upgrade your forum credentials, we must do that manually, and you need to post here you require upgrade,include your station number and user number for the data server.  (not your password!)
You must have registered your system on the operator's page.
Once the receiver activates, you should see a 'register' account for the servers

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2022-04-11, 17:46)cutty Wrote: Thank you for the speedy reply!
Not sure if I still have the regulator, can you tell me the part number in case I have to order a new one?
Thank you,
Warren

The instructions specifically refer to two early board versions, test release and first early release 19.1 & 19.2, yours is not included.
Bummer.  Hope you saved the old regulator. Your system has no hope of powering up without it!!!!
"...the voltage regulators of the boards PCB 19.1 and PCB 19.2 are not adequate for the current consumption of the boards. This problem is eliminated by the piggyback board PCB 21."

The receivers will NOT send to the network until the server sees them on line, and you have registered your system
It will NOT completely activate and be capable of sending data until it acquires a GPS lock.

You must follow instructions in Section 4 of the online instructions to activate your receiver on the server account.
If you leave "anonym" as 'Y'... that makes you 'anonymous', and NONE of your data will display in site data presentations.  Change to 'Y'.
Configure your antenna designes explicitly by type and dimensions.. Server positions begin as '0' for controller channel 1, etc.
0=H1 1=H2  2=H3... undefined if not used.
3 is ALWAYS E probe.  4 and 5 undefined for system BLUE.

Once acknowledged as active, this will NOT upgrade your forum credentials, we must do that manually, and you need to post here you require upgrade,include your station number and user number for the data server.  (not your password!)
You must have registered your system on the operator's page.
Once the receiver activates, you should see a 'register' account for the servers
(2022-04-11, 17:57)k2ors Wrote: Thank you for the speedy reply!
Not sure if I still have the regulator, can you tell me the part number in case I have to order a new one?
Thank you,
Warren
...here's best I can do.  I don't know which production run you have, or if there are any modifications other than what is possible below.  (image not visible unless logged in?)
Good Luck.
[Image: PScomp19.5.png]

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
k2ors, I have a 19.5 board and it works just fine with the as supplied onboard regulators. No need to remove or replace them.

Did you remove all four regulators or just one? If just one, which one?
[Image: NOAARADlogoTXT80.png]

Stations: 2100, 2954
(2022-04-11, 22:02)dupreezd Wrote: k2ors, I have a 19.5 board and it works just fine with the as supplied onboard regulators. No need to remove or replace them.

Did you remove all four regulators or just one? If just one, which one?
I removed IC502 per the instructions that I downloaded which were apparently for an earlier version. I couldn't find instructions specific to pcb 19.5
mmm IC502 is responsible for voltage +3V3 which is used by the MCU. Without that regulator (LM3940IMP-3.3) the board will never start up.
Solder it back on if you still have it.

(2022-04-11, 19:40)cutty Wrote:
(2022-04-11, 17:57)k2ors Wrote: Can't find any MCP1755s-3302E/DB in stock anywhere, would an LM1117MPX-3.3 work ?

Tnx
Warren

\

Thank you for the speedy reply!
Thank you,
Warren
...here's best I can do.  I don't know which production run you have, or if there are any modifications other than what is possible below.  (image not visible unless logged in?)
Good Luck.
[Image: PScomp19.5.png]
I would be hesitant to install an LM1117 in there. If you look at datasheet this chip, the output capacitor calls for a low ESR 10uF tantalum capacitor between .3 and 22ohm. It also needs a much bigger value input capacitor than the LM3940

The datasheet for the LM3940 specifies a low ESR ceramic Capacitor. These capacitors ESR are typical between 0.01 and 0.1 ohms.

On the other hand, I have 4 those LDO's and willing to donate one. Send me a private email.

(2022-04-13, 22:51)dupreezd Wrote: Hi,

Much appreciated!  I am such a newbie that I don't know how I can find your email address from the info on this board and send a private email, I lack administrator privileges. However my email is k2ors@verizon.net , I 'd be more than happy to compensate you for your trouble.
Many thanks,
Warren

I would be hesitant to install an LM1117 in there. If you look at datasheet this chip, the output capacitor calls for a low ESR 10uF tantalum capacitor between .3 and 22ohm.  It also needs a much bigger value input capacitor than the LM3940

The datasheet for the LM3940 specifies a low ESR ceramic Capacitor. These capacitors ESR  are typical between 0.01 and 0.1 ohms.

On the other hand, I have 4 those LDO's and willing to donate one. Send me a private email.
I don't know how I can find your email address from the info on this board and send a private email, I lack administrator privileges.