System Blue Order Status 12. August 2016
OK so I get that it's expensive to make multilayer circuit boards etc etc, but I live in a particularly active lightning area in Arizona. Mostly my interest is in providing early warning of destructive lightning which has occurred over the years... people get whacked and property gets damaged. I have a couple of circuit boards from AMS but they've dropped out of the game and don't support these devices anymore...

... here's my deal, why not just release the circuit design to us (suggesting that there are those that can read them) and allow us to build them from scratch? What, is someone trying to PATENT a specific circuit design for this purpose? Are you kidding??? All of the participants at blitzortung.org should have the same mindset... lightning reporting with NO PROFIT IN MIND!

Maybe you've (whom ever YOU are) moved on to other more profitable efforts, I certainly understand the need to make a living, but don't start something that you can't finish... 5000+ orders for devices is just absurd and shouldn't be suggested as acceptable by anyone... perhaps I should just make my own detector and interface and cut you out of the whole thing?

This not about the EU, which you obviously live in... this is about destructive lightning weather that we in the US deal with every year. It starts fires in dry regions and causes millions if not tens or hundreds of millions of dollars of damage every year. Yes I understand that lightning is a "global" phenomenon but as such and as you very well know, I nor "we" can do anything about where it happens... seems to me the whole point of you creating this device is to support early warning of destructive lightning, so get off the stick or share your knowledge so that others that have the time and resources can further this effort.

I am pretty sure your "constituents" will agree...

Respectfully,

Christian Collins
5163 of 5307 units in line for availability
Detectors in the vicinity of a thunderstorm are not useful. It's the farther away stations that are.

And ... https://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread...1#pid20811
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
(2019-07-31, 03:20)ibchristian Wrote: OK so I get that it's expensive to make multilayer circuit boards etc etc, but I live in a particularly active lightning area in Arizona. Mostly my interest is in providing early warning of destructive lightning which has occurred over the years... people get whacked and property gets damaged. I have a couple of circuit boards from AMS but they've dropped out of the game and don't support these devices anymore...

... here's my deal, why not just release the circuit design to us (suggesting that there are those that can read them) and allow us to build them from scratch? What, is someone trying to PATENT a specific circuit design for this purpose? Are you kidding??? All of the participants at blitzortung.org should have the same mindset... lightning reporting with NO PROFIT IN MIND!

Maybe you've (whom ever YOU are) moved on to other more profitable efforts, I certainly understand the need to make a living, but don't start something that you can't finish... 5000+ orders for devices is just absurd and shouldn't be suggested as acceptable by anyone... perhaps I should just make my own detector and interface and cut you out of the whole thing?

This not about the EU, which you obviously live in... this is about destructive lightning weather that we in the US deal with every year. It starts fires in dry regions and causes millions if not tens or hundreds of millions of dollars of damage every year. Yes I understand that lightning is a "global" phenomenon but as such and as you very well know, I nor "we" can do anything about where it happens... seems to me the whole point of you creating this device is to support early warning of destructive lightning, so get off the stick or share your knowledge so that others that have the time and resources can further this effort.

Respectfully,

Christian Collins

Perhaps you should make your own detection network, the issue isn’t so much the detectors but rather the server network to process the terabytes of data! That costs real money and effort, if anyone could build detectors then the network would crash under the weight of (often poor or corrupt) data, by controlling the manufacture and supply of detectors the data integrity can be improved and the server demand anticipated. 
Try looking at the global picture rather than just your own back yard!
RED Station: 878,   Flightradar24: F-EGLF1,  Open Glider Network: Aldersht2, PlanePlotter: M7.
Stations: 878
Good answer, Benedict.
Not just the server network, but the proprietary software that processes the data. That and the boards (and the onboard firmware) themselves were designed by Ph.D.'s in Europe FAR smarter than me!

As I stated, this has been asked many times, and the replies from the developers is always a flat NO, and always will be. Sorry.

Also, the 5000 figure is actually much lower. Reason being, often when Egon sends an email to the next on the waiting list and doesn't receive payment within 2 weeks, then that person gets dropped from the list and the next applicants are dealt with in the same manner. And besides, there is a bug in the software (I forget the exact details) that checks your position on the list. You may very well be much lower!

I forget the exact details, but I was also way behind and I received my two stations far sooner than I ever expected! Just be patient, my friend. And put some money aside so that when you get that special email, then unlike many others you can pay for it!  Smile
Regards,
Mike W.
(2019-07-31, 03:20)ibchristian Wrote: OK so I get that it's expensive to make multilayer circuit boards etc etc, but I live in a particularly active lightning area in Arizona. Mostly my interest is in providing early warning of destructive lightning which has occurred over the years... people get whacked and property gets damaged. I have a couple of circuit boards from AMS but they've dropped out of the game and don't support these devices anymore...

Respectfully,

Christian Collins

The first thing to keep in mind on all of this is "this has been, and always will be a HOBBY, not a business" that we are talking about. 

Egon, Tobi and the other developers have full time jobs, a family, etc. that come before this, as it should be. The board designs, the micro-coding of the IC's, the design of the software architecture, etc is proprietary to the developers, and will never be released to be open sourced under any circumstances, and shouldn't be. I have answered the question of why the gerbers and board designs will not be released over the years several times on here.

As a long time owner of a System Red (started with station 722 back in 2013, now station 1387, and I am the only Blitz detector in my state), living in the 7th most active state in the U.S with regards to lightning flashes and strikes (I am in Arkansas, where we had 768,168 CG strikes and flashes in 2018). 

I can understand your frustration on having to wait your turn on getting a system, but your turn will arrive, possibly much sooner than you realize.

Respectfully,

John
Station: 1387
Stations: 1387
I couldn't possibly have said it any better, John!
Regards,
Mike W.
Greetings from Greece. My team from Southern Greece just ordered 2 blue detectors. We want to cover our area because there is no detector in Peloponnese, and we are in the South West part of it. The first detector will be placed in city Pylos witch is next to Ionian Sea. A lot of thunderstorms hit there. The second when it is available will be placed in capital city Kalamata.
Now we have to wait.
Hello!

Sorry, but I totally understand... How purchase your system blue?
I request a membership via http://ru.blitzortung.org/cover_your_area.php and rating for RU is №1.
My location 50.566501, 137.037728

There no any lighting receivers around 1000+ KM
Can I purchase lighting detector now or I must wait?
Curiosity question, don't get me wrong it wouldn't change my mind as I would like to become part of the "hobby", but just what is the cost of a complete unit? Any currency measure is fine, I can convert to AU$.
Fully understand and accept the fact the technology behind the board is vital to be kept controlled, and the reasons given in previous posts is very well explained.
Located northern suburbs of Brisbane, Australia and looking forward to that email with the attached invoice!.
I am new to this. I live near the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, NSW, Australia. The mega fires that you have undoubtedly seen in the recent news were started by lightning. We live in an area not yet burnt, therefore full of tinder dry fuel. As a member of our local volunteer bush fire brigade, we need every assistance in being able to quickly respond to the next round of dry lightning strikes. We live about 200kms from the nearest LightningMaps ground station. We are attempting to calibrate recent LightningMaps strike locations with known lightning strike locations. A new ground station within our area could be very valuable, facilitating our quick field check of lightning induced bushfire. This initiative could significantly reduce bushfire damage to property and may save lives.
I am keen to learn how to get one or more ground stations established within our region. 
I am also learning how to use this message posting system.
Where is the sent button Huh Shy 
Chris
(2019-12-27, 07:20)geocom7 Wrote: I am new to this. I live near the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, NSW, Australia. The mega fires that you have undoubtedly seen in the recent news were started by lightning. We live in an area not yet burnt, therefore full of tinder dry fuel. As a member of our local volunteer bush fire brigade, we need every assistance in being able to quickly respond to the next round of dry lightning strikes. We live about 200kms from the nearest LightningMaps ground station. We are attempting to calibrate recent LightningMaps strike locations with known lightning strike locations. A new ground station within our area could be very valuable, facilitating our quick field check of lightning induced bushfire. This initiative could significantly reduce bushfire damage to property and may save lives.
I am keen to learn how to get one or more ground stations established within our region. 
I am also learning how to use this message posting system.
Where is the sent button Huh Shy 
Chris

Nice thoughts.  Just for your info though, it is probably the closest stations to a strike that won't record the matter because they would probably be in an interference mode unless you have a very reduced unit in detection capability, which would assist in the process locally, but unable to assist further afield when those local stations are in interference mode.  The great thing about this system, whilst the local units are in interference mode due to a nearby storm, units further away will be filling the bill by accurately recording where strikes are occuring.  I am up in Tamworth and can get bumped into interference mode sometimes with some intense storms in south east Queensland.  All depends on how cranky mother nature is whacking down them lightning bolts ...... lol.  But more stations are always welcome in out Australia / Oceania region  Shy
Stations: 2041
I don't understand the unspeakably long waiting time for a kit.
There are a thousand companies that manufacture, assemble and test printed circuit boards for little money. There is still a profit margin for it.

That makes me think seriously about an alternative. Dodgy
(2019-12-28, 11:18)dl4all Wrote: I don't understand the unspeakably long waiting time for a kit.
There are a thousand companies that manufacture, assemble and test printed circuit boards for little money. There is still a profit margin for it.

That makes me think seriously about an alternative. Dodgy

Not about profit, actually not for profit educational project. Egon and a few students prepare boards and package them. They are not processing them like a company that is interested in profits. They order boards in quantities that make sense for them to process. Also boards are prioritized to locations that have low coverage. So if you are in a high coverage area the wait could be longer.
Kevin McCormick KB0UOI
Macomb, IL USA
Stations: 1539
[quote pid='21768' dateline='1577441362']
Nice thoughts.  Just for your info though, it is probably the closest stations to a strike that won't record the matter because they would probably be in an interference mode unless you have a very reduced unit in detection capability, which would assist in the process locally, but unable to assist further afield when those local stations are in interference mode.  The great thing about this system, whilst the local units are in interference mode due to a nearby storm, units further away will be filling the bill by accurately recording where strikes are occuring.  I am up in Tamworth and can get bumped into interference mode sometimes with some intense storms in south east Queensland.  All depends on how cranky mother nature is whacking down them lightning bolts ...... lol.  But more stations are always welcome in out Australia / Oceania region  Shy
[/quote]

I'd love to get involved in this project for two reasons - one, I'm a volunteer firefighter and this data is very useful, and two, I run a very small wisp which also finds this data valuable AND have towers with internet connectivity all over the area (and we have elevation too!)

Our region in the middle area of SA (around Clare Valley) seems to have poor coverage on the maps :/
Okay, if it is actually maintained to build a network that is as global and evenly distributed as possible, this is a desirable solution. But the pace lags behind that of Galileo.
I would like to receive data from which I can read out whether a thunderstorm hits my location. Then I could automatically initiate the necessary measures via home automation. But as far as one said, only station owners get the necessary data sets.
Another solution would be a programmatic one. You indicate your location on a website and receive a warning about an incoming thunderstorm.

That's a question for the developers of the kits and the website.
(2019-12-31, 10:23)dl4all Wrote: ... and receive a warning about an incoming thunderstorm.

That is a feature built into these units. Alarms and alerts are configurable through the web interface. I have two alarms set up, one set to go off at 10 km and the other at 5 km.
Regards,
Mike W.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  System Blue order status (10.3.2020) Egon 33 146,543 2023-11-29, 21:57
Last Post: cutty
  Issue starting Sunday August 1st at 13.00 PA4EME 2 7,246 2021-08-07, 23:08
Last Post: orion_jb2001
  Received System Blue offer. The order was ignored. s1ini 5 27,324 2019-10-07, 17:42
Last Post: s1ini
  [moved] German: Order Question starlord 1 18,017 2017-12-14, 07:34
Last Post: starlord
  Order Question chevyman142000 6 40,349 2016-06-01, 03:59
Last Post: chevyman142000