New system, noob questions
Hi all,

Finally got my Blue system up and running here in Asheville NC (Station 1542).

Looking for a little help.

1) Is there a definitive guide to "tuning" the system.  I seem to get a lot of signals, but very few are used in locating strikes.  I have tried manually tuning but in the dark as to what the best approach is.

2) When I assembled by system this weekend I noticed the assembly guide had changed.  Now it calls for an auxiliary voltage regulator (PCB 21).  How do I go about getting one.

Regards,

Junebug
(2016-07-18, 14:11)Junebug Wrote: Hi all,

Finally got my Blue system up and running here in Asheville NC (Station 1542).

Looking for a little help.

1) Is there a definitive guide to "tuning" the system.  I seem to get a lot of signals, but very few are used in locating strikes.  I have tried manually tuning but in the dark as to what the best approach is.

2) When I assembled by system this weekend I noticed the assembly guide had changed.  Now it calls for an auxiliary voltage regulator (PCB 21).  How do I go about getting one.

Regards,

Junebug

Hi Junebug,

It is nice to have you with us.

1) There is no specific guide to optimizing the System Blue. Every location has its own local noise patterns, which requires you to experiment with the settings to find what works best for your station. I would start by running it in manual mode, high-pass filters disabled and with a gain of 10*10 (maybe?) on the H-field channels. Look for noise-triggered signals on the Signals page. Try to keep those signals at a minimum.
It has taken me over a month to fine optimize my own station and I am finally starting to see the results Smile  So far I have swapped the power supply, grounded the station, shielded the ferrites, installed the low-pass filters and placed the station in a remote location with minimal noise.

2) Egon said he would send every System Blue owner an email regarding the voltage regulator during the past weekend, check your email.

/Jorge
Stations: 1481
Hi Junebug!
Welcome aboard!

A quick response:  Watch your email for a couple of messages... we'll get you optimized!
One thing that helps us is to get a bit more 'regionalized' and develop a bit of 'personal' contact...

Also, we might get used to using the term 'optimize', rather than 'tune'... this prevents confusion
between the normal definitions of the terms... the system is a "Broadband' Un-tuned ELF / VLV receiver,
and except for the optional filters, nothing should be tuned or effect the bandwidth or antenna tuning
of the system as manufactured... so we 'optimize' location, gains, thresholds for best overall operation.

First, explore the 'internal' forum here, for operators and developers... if you don't have access
at the moment, that should happen shortly.

Second, if you're not already on WxForum.net, join us there at the Blitzortung Board
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=115.0
A lot of world wide operators hang out there, and with some technical exceptions,
most everything concerning "System RED" will apply to System Blue...

Third, the Americas Operators hang out at 'Sferics.US'
http://sferics.us/
and we have a bit more "BLUE" info there in the "Operators"
restricted forum...some open to World-Wide operators, and
  a private area for the America's operators.
 (our regional 'clubhouse', as Dale Reid named it).

As a first step, I'd suggest putting the system in 'Manual Mode', with none of the
automatics running, and no optional filter ICs enabled, set the thresholds at about 120mv
and the gains about 5*5 on H and about 2^2 on the E channel. Now, on BLUE, the 'threshold'
settings for H channel C and the E channel share the same ADC so there may be a bit of initial
confusion about the 'triggering' on those two channels... but that's for later.

The goal is to establish a 'normal' or 'ambient' environment level for optimized settings...
that will be a bit diffdicult on a day like today with a lot of activity... this can take some
time, observation, and patience, because of the constantly changing EM environment,
season, daylight-night, nearby noise sources both intermittent and constant... etc...

For the modified regulator, you should be hearing from Egon concerning that, but just to make sure, drop him an email...

Cheers!
Mike

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
Thanks Guys,

I had already figured out Auto did not work too well.  I was running a bit lower...8x1 on H @ 90 mv; and 8x4 at 120 mv on E. 

Changed to 5x5 at 120 mv, and 2x2 on E at 120 mv and I seem to be getting better action.

Sorry about the tuning reference..I come from the controls area and you tune your controller...

Thanks for the links to the other forums.  I will sign up for those and study what has been done in the past.

I'll also drop Egon a email about the voltage regulator.

Regards,

Junebug
Note that it might be interesting to ground the controller. I.e. Connecting the e-field f connector to a iron pipe or so.
Clément
Stations: 252, 733, 1440, 2601

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General questions for a new system flo_ww 4 23,609 2016-06-06, 19:49
Last Post: RichoAnd
  More system blue antenna questions Adrian Hudson 2 18,099 2016-05-19, 13:49
Last Post: Adrian Hudson