Potentially offline for Hurricane Irma
Hey guys, depending on conditions, my station will be down for the hurricane. We're in Jupiter, Florida, two miles from the Atlantic Ocean. The E-field probe has to come down from the roof, but the H-field will remain on as long as possible. The anemometer and weather station will also remain online as long as possible.
Wish us luck!!
Jupiter Live Weather
Stations: 1955
The Pictures and the reports from the Caribbean so far have been horrific. Expect only worse. Good luck with the evacuation.

Brian.
(2017-09-07, 18:42)readbueno Wrote: The Pictures and the reports from the Caribbean so far have been horrific. Expect only worse. Good luck with the evacuation.

Brian.

Thank you for the well wishes. We are staying. We have a concrete block house, so like most of our neighbors, we'll stay and be as safe as possible. The highways are barely crawling headed north,and the storm is headed straight up the peninsula, so it may be prudent to ride it out instead of getting stuck somewhere unfamiliar and unable to get back.
Those poor people that faced 185mph winds are in my thoughts. I couldn't imagine, and I'm glad it will weaken some by the time it gets here.
Well Good luck anyway!
If you are that close to the storm, judging by the results of Harvey on Blitzortung, a bottle cap antenna on the pre-amp, even inside, right next to the main board might still produce very good data. If you have power that is.

Brian.
I still have the H-field up and running, and it's on a battery backup as well, so that should stay going as long as I have internet, which is also on battery. When the winds subside, I'll have a generator running everything, but the internet might still be out. I'll use my phone as a hotspot for my main weather(if I keep a signal) computer, but the blitzortung runs separate from it.
Thanks again for your thoughts!
Looks like we're going to be lucky. The track is over the west coast of Florida now. Just tropical storm winds for us and a lot of rain. Piece of cake. I'll probably still lose power though, since I do even in light storms. :/
I'll have the E-field back online as soon as the storm moves past us!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hurricane Dorian JupiterJoe 2 11,108 2020-05-29, 09:55
Last Post: scilover