Issues With Internet Explorer Not Showing Me Active & Current Lightning Strikes?
(2014-09-08, 05:29)AR_aus Wrote: I'll have a shot at this.

lightningmaps.org uses a relatively new technology called WebSockets to transmit the live data. Websockets however is not supported until IE10 (see http://caniuse.com/#feat=websockets). This is fairly typical with IE being a few years behind supporting newer web technology compared to other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox.

I assume the reason lightningmaps.org uses Websockets is because it is much faster and much more efficient than doing things the old way which was to have every client poll the webserver every 5 seconds to check for new data.

Hence, if you wish to view the site then you're either going to have to upgrade to at least IE10 or change browsers.

Note: I have nothing to do with lightningmaps.org- I am just inferring this from looking at the code

@ Ar_aus:

Hello. Nice to meet you!

Thank you. So I was using a version of the IE web browser that was JUST pre-compatible with this interactive map.

So it was the lack of this new technology that was causing the issues.

Thank you very much!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Issues With Internet Explorer Not Showing Me Active & Current Lightning Strikes? - by montecarlo1987 - 2014-09-08, 06:31

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Strikes not showing after Firefox 39 update. Irish_Steve 14 68,983 2019-06-18, 10:04
Last Post: cutty
  Lightningmaps.org still semi-active after 1 month dalex 2 13,224 2018-12-11, 18:12
Last Post: Tobi
  LightningMaps.org having issues? piepants 14 65,704 2017-11-24, 08:48
Last Post: readbueno