Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Latest Threads
New system - not certain ...
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: cutty
2024-04-26, 16:15
» Replies: 7
» Views: 372
Ground current
Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics
Last Post: mendip_defender
2024-04-26, 16:01
» Replies: 5
» Views: 7,953
Buying a blue system
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: gladhyundai
2024-04-25, 03:11
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5,652
Please put Kosovo with it...
Forum: Website, Maps and Applications
Last Post: valdrinshala
2024-04-24, 16:17
» Replies: 10
» Views: 4,834
Blue Preamp and Red Contr...
Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics
Last Post: Reiner.vom.Bruch
2024-04-22, 08:22
» Replies: 1
» Views: 328
Suche System Blue
Forum: Non-English
Last Post: malansanni77
2024-04-22, 07:38
» Replies: 2
» Views: 754
station 3021 in https://w...
Last Post: jeanse
2024-04-18, 14:17
» Replies: 0
» Views: 153
Station 3012 in https://w...
Last Post: jeanse
2024-04-16, 08:42
» Replies: 6
» Views: 1,803
Lightningmaps.org Pin Mar...
Last Post: vinesweather
2024-04-15, 01:00
» Views: 548
Station 1613 owner change
Last Post: Egon
2024-03-27, 08:40
» Views: 404

Strike accuracy question
Posted by: BobW - 2014-06-27, 17:30 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - Replies (2)

[attachment=1242][attachment=1243]Hi all,

I saw something last night that I had a question about. There were some storms last night slightly north of where I live. It appears that the positions of the detected lightning overshot where the lightning actually was. I think this is possibly because there were no stations receiving the lightning to the southeast of where the lightning was, and the system was just making a best guess as to where the strikes were given that it actually couldn't triangulate it on three sides.

See the attached screen shots of the radar in the area, and the Blitzortung web page. From the Wilmington area to the southeast, it was actually clear air, with no lightning.

As soon as kits are available, I'm on board with adding a station here. Hopefully that will help.

Print this item

Volt and Ampere data?
Posted by: jumpjack - 2014-06-26, 12:27 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - Replies (7)

Months ago I found an experimental site showing estimated V and A for each strike, but I can't find it anymore, any clue?

Print this item

Embedding map to a website
Posted by: ClimateReach - 2014-06-24, 23:26 - Forum: Website, Maps and Applications - Replies (2)

Hi,

I run a blog dealing with environmental/climate news and would love to embed this map if I am able? Of course I would fully cite and link back to the original here. If anyone could give me a hand with the embed code I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Print this item

Station in central Brazil
Posted by: Burajirujin - 2014-06-24, 20:50 - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (3)

Hello ppl,
I noticed that there are almost no stations running in South America (only found one in Colombia). I live in Goiânia, a city in the central region of Brazil (16.7 S/49.2 W).
I've become interested in running a station here for myself, but I don't know if it would help the network, since the nearest running station is 4000km away.
The system may run in high gain mode without much problems, I think, because it would stay somewhat far from the city center in a low density area, without any strong power line, transformer or big electric machine running near.
A station running here would help?

Print this item

Live Map Overlay
Posted by: cosined - 2014-06-24, 19:13 - Forum: Website, Maps and Applications - Replies (4)

http://thevane.gawker.com/blitzortung-is...1589722466

In the above article, a GIF appears that shows your (North American) map with seemingly real-time strikes (with the ray and ripple effects), though when I load the live map all I see is a static map. I've checked and unchecked Strikes, Detectors, and Sounds, but nothing seems to reproduce the articles experience. http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en works fine for me.

I'm using Firefox 30.0, but it doesn't work in IE either.

Thanks for any insight!

Print this item

Blitzortung in the news again
Posted by: Benedict.Smith - 2014-06-24, 09:13 - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (37)

I think Egon is going to be busy in the run-up to his holiday with such good publicity!!

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014...l-team-map

http://www.geek.com/science/see-lightnin...r-1597481/

However the geek article stated that you could buy fully assembled units! I think that could cause a few headaches Dodgy
Ben.

Print this item

Mahlzeit zusammen
Posted by: Superschlumpf - 2014-06-23, 18:37 - Forum: Non-English - Replies (12)

So, 2 Komplettsysteme beim Egon persönlich abgeholt,ein wenig gequatscht.... Nun ist das erste Controllerboard zusammengebaut und ich beschäftige mich mit dem Flashen der Firmware.
Aber wo finde ich die Firmware? Habe natürlich vergessen den Egon direkt zu fragen als ich bei ihm war. In der PDF finde ich nur Links zu der Software zum flashen.
Habe ich (mal wieder) was übersehen/überlesen?

LG Andreas

Print this item

Antarctic station
Posted by: alexandicity - 2014-06-23, 16:09 - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (13)

Hello!

I am leaving to live in Antarctica soon. I was interested in taking a kit with me to measure any Antarctic sferics. Does anyone know if there is already any coverage out there? It seems not, from what I see. I don't expect there will be many lighting events (or perhaps any?) there but if there are, it would be very interesting to see their frequency and locations!

Pragmatically, I would also like to know if anyone has any experience operating these at low temperatures (down to -50 regularly)? Insulation might help, but only if the preamp power consumption isn't too low! I may also need to run a long (10+m) between the preamp and the main boad; is this possible?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Print this item

Raw data
Posted by: samcox - 2014-06-23, 15:36 - Forum: Website, Maps and Applications - Replies (5)

Is it possible to receive the raw data coming from Blitzortung, maybe from an API? I'm interested in exporting it out and visualising it in an artistic fashion.

Print this item

Robotic lawnmower interference?
Posted by: GeigerBe - 2014-06-22, 10:49 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - Replies (26)

Hello,

I have a big problem.

Since my neigbour owns a Husqverna Automower, my station isn't useable anymore. I get Interference all the time!

I checked the internet and found out that the mower uses a magnetic field, inducted by a wire arround the lawn, not to get lost.

Have someone a idea how I can get online again? At the moment a use a frame antenna, would it help to change to a ferrit rod?

Or how I apply filters or something else what my damp this frequencies...

My Station is number 410.

At the moment it's online, but I'll switch it off soon, not to spam the network with a lot of false signals....

And here is my lightingtracker web access:
http://smart2theworld.no-ip.org:8888/

Greetings

Benedikt

Print this item