Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Latest Threads
New system - not certain ...
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: cutty
Yesterday, 16:15
» Replies: 7
» Views: 228
Ground current
Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics
Last Post: mendip_defender
Yesterday, 16:01
» Replies: 5
» Views: 7,935
Buying a blue system
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: gladhyundai
2024-04-25, 03:11
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5,647
Please put Kosovo with it...
Forum: Website, Maps and Applications
Last Post: valdrinshala
2024-04-24, 16:17
» Replies: 10
» Views: 4,821
Blue Preamp and Red Contr...
Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics
Last Post: Reiner.vom.Bruch
2024-04-22, 08:22
» Replies: 1
» Views: 319
Suche System Blue
Forum: Non-English
Last Post: malansanni77
2024-04-22, 07:38
» Replies: 2
» Views: 737
station 3021 in https://w...
Last Post: jeanse
2024-04-18, 14:17
» Replies: 0
» Views: 149
Station 3012 in https://w...
Last Post: jeanse
2024-04-16, 08:42
» Replies: 6
» Views: 1,794
Lightningmaps.org Pin Mar...
Last Post: vinesweather
2024-04-15, 01:00
» Views: 545
Station 1613 owner change
Last Post: Egon
2024-03-27, 08:40
» Views: 402

Newbie? As the same ... you reply!?
Posted by: Vad - 2014-04-22, 14:28 - Forum: Website, Maps and Applications - Replies (9)

Wrote many letters to different addresses are found here to see prices on the site .. no one answers!
So how do I contact you??
There is little information, information is not complete ..
what, who, where?
I can buy, how much .. how much will cost delivery ..
On http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/inde...=de&page=3
response robot ... no return address .. or anyone write .. or anyone to ask a question ..
And on forum peace and quiet .. only dead men with braids standing ..Wink

Ну и нахрена такое надо?)))

Print this item

Kit Construction
Posted by: N1LF - 2014-04-16, 05:34 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - Replies (6)

I've been actively experimenting with sferics receiver, and TOA lighting detectors for several years. Very interested in adding a detector at my home in Central Alabama (near Birmingham) in the Southeastern US.

Unfortunately, time has robbed me of my eyesight for close-up work, and made my hands too unsteady for SMT type soldering. I'm looking for another forum member who would be willing to assemble the kit on my behalf. Happy to have complete kit shipped directly to your location. I can also pay you for your time and labor via PayPal, or money order.

If you're interested please contact me by PM or offline. I'm grateful for any assistance.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
USA

EM63nf

Print this item

Blitzortung User Data Cant Update
Posted by: Kalamara - 2014-03-29, 13:13 - Forum: Website, Maps and Applications - Replies (2)

Is there something wrong with blitzortung web site. I can't update my user data. When I hit
save it goes to the European map. It does not update my information.

Something is wrong with the Blitzortung Web Site!

Has it been compromised !?

PaulUndecidedSad
Palm Beach Gardens FL

Print this item

Frage zu Channels / Signalen
Posted by: Letraz - 2014-03-17, 19:46 - Forum: Non-English - Replies (2)

Hallo zusammen

Ich habe ein paar grundlegende Fragen zu den Signalen, resp den Channels des Systems RED:

Ich habe den Amplifier 1 - PCB 12.3 - FW 1.6. Daran sind zwei ferride rod's angeschlossen. Welche Channels sind das nun ? Channel 1A und 1B ? Auf was bezieht sich dann Channel 1C ?

Wenn ich die Signal-Seite anschaue, dann habe ich das Bild wie unten angehängt (signal.png). Ist es normal, dass ein Channel (hier eben der grüne) so weit unten ist ? Müsste sich der nicht (wie der rote) um die 0-Linie bewegen ?

Auf der Status-Seite des Amplifiers sehe ich für den Channel B dass der Trigger deaktiviert ist (amplifiers.png). Ist das so gewollt und es gilt der Selbe Wert wie für Channel A ? Warum aber kann man dann für Channel B einen Treshold definieren, wenn der dann (siehe signal.png) nicht angezeigt wird ?

Besten Dank für eure Auskunft.

Gruss Letraz

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Desensitizing Effect of TOA System
Posted by: Kalamara - 2014-03-16, 15:40 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - No Replies

I have been experimenting with the lightning strikes and the gain factor of antenna and preamp.

When the gain is set a little to high with consideration to the antenna being too high in receive
performance we have desensitizing effect. An auto gain feature would work well . As I discovered
the newest TOA board that has come out version 10 I saw spoke of an auto gain feature. This
I guess addresses the issue I have found.

I have designed my antenna as a 2-foot pvc loop antenna with 25 turns, 22gauge stranded
wire and gain set at preamp of 43x Gain. Channel A,B jumper set on pin 2.

The preamp board is PCB 5 version 7, Data board PCB 6 version 8.

Are there any newer preamp board versions available?? Please let me know.
I will be looking into an auto gain method. Or finding a setting that fits
both distance and local strikes which will give best effciencies at 5000km
and moderate level efficiencies.

The best we can do is use a gain that will fit most instances of nearby high activity
storms as well as distance ones. Or find a way to build an auto gain preamp.

Paul

Print this item

Unassembled kit pics
Posted by: Donald.Froula - 2014-03-04, 17:38 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - Replies (7)

I'm building up a station for a new member.

For those considering ordering and building a kit, here's what it looks like just out of the box!

Don

Print this item

Aircraft induced lightning
Posted by: Gerhard.Wittevee - 2014-02-08, 08:51 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - Replies (5)

Hi all,

Yesterday, february 7 an aircraft left from Amsterdam-Schiphol airport heading to Finland got struck by lightning. There was no damage reported, and the plane finished its trip.
I read a report of someone living near the airport, reporting lightning. Reactions on the forum (http://www.weerwoord.be) suggested it could be aircraft induced. I decided to get the Blitzortung data, and found the time to be 19:54:51 and the location was 52°20'20.9"N 4°41'05.4"E
Then i looked for flight-data available on the internet, and checked if there was an airplane at that location at that time. There was! The Blitzortung registration of the strike and the aircraft location at the time were less than 1 km apart... Impressive, right?

Gerhard Witteveen
www.weeropdeveluwe.nl

Print this item

"Idle" Indication
Posted by: argus42 - 2014-01-28, 09:54 - Forum: Website, Maps and Applications - Replies (7)

On two recent occasions I have checked participants and found that my system was listed as "Idle". On the first occasion I powered my system down and restarted it and it came up as "Running". When it happened second time I had a close look at Blitzortung.Org and found that my system as making detections and reporting lightning strikes but it was not passing through my server. On the second occasion I recycled my server and again the system began to function normally.

Today I checked all users and there were six "Idle" systems. I would like to get participants experiences with this issue and try to understand why it happened and find out the best approach to eliminating the problem completely.

Cheers,

Errol Walker (875)

Print this item

Accuracy
Posted by: Tobi - 2014-01-26, 10:54 - Forum: Website, Maps and Applications - No Replies

Hi!

Just some interesting notes:

During winter season, the electricity in thunderstorms is often weaker but the cloud level over ground is lower too. Thus, the chance might be higher that lightning hits only very tall structures and not the area around that structure. During the last hours there have been a couple of such thunderstorms over Germany, where stroke coordinates are concentrated on a small area only. Participants can check that on Lightningmaps.org.

Here's an example:

The time, number of participated stations and the number of stations used for calculation is displayed aside each stroke. It was one single lightning flash and all it's strokes occurred within 200 milliseconds. They are all very close to the windmill at the bottom of the picture. The first stroke was the most powerful one, as it has been received from most stations (see attachment below). It's almost 100% sure, that some or all of the strokes hit this windmill. The real deviations to the target are in a range from 300 to 700m. Such an detection accuracy is only possible when there are some stations not too far away and not too close.

No other lightning stroke has been detected several kilometers around that windmill. There is a good chance, that there wouldn't have been any lightning strike at all without the windmill. Per definition, a thunderstorm is only a thunderstorm when there is lightning. Conclusion: More tall structures like windmills, power lines or antenna masts --> more thunderstorms, at least in winter. Sounds good (but don't take that to seriously Wink !)

Have fun!
Tobias

Print this item