Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Latest Threads
Buying a blue system
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: gladhyundai
2 hours ago
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5,524
Please put Kosovo with it...
Forum: Website, Maps and Applications
Last Post: valdrinshala
Yesterday, 16:17
» Replies: 10
» Views: 4,717
Blue Preamp and Red Contr...
Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics
Last Post: Reiner.vom.Bruch
2024-04-22, 08:22
» Replies: 1
» Views: 263
Suche System Blue
Forum: Non-English
Last Post: malansanni77
2024-04-22, 07:38
» Replies: 2
» Views: 689
station 3021 in https://w...
Last Post: jeanse
2024-04-18, 14:17
» Replies: 0
» Views: 124
Station 3012 in https://w...
Last Post: jeanse
2024-04-16, 08:42
» Replies: 6
» Views: 1,712
Lightningmaps.org Pin Mar...
Last Post: vinesweather
2024-04-15, 01:00
» Views: 513
Station 1613 owner change
Last Post: Egon
2024-03-27, 08:40
» Views: 367
computed lightning data d...
Last Post: theperk
2024-03-25, 07:58
» Replies: 0
» Views: 244
What are user and factory...
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: cutty
2024-03-22, 14:39
» Views: 510

When are kits back in stock?
Posted by: Crozing - 2014-07-31, 01:20 - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (76)

I was looking to purchase a kit a few weeks ago and as many have discovered they were all sold out. My questions of when they might be available again was answered with a "periodically check blitzortung.org." Can anyone confirm where the information might be posted? Alternatively an answer to this post when someone knows they're available and I'll get an email.

I'm new to using forums so i'm not sure how to monitor them so I apologise in advance if I'm being a dummkopf.

TIA

Print this item

Surplus Anyone?
Posted by: Bonzo - 2014-07-30, 16:23 - Forum: General Discussion - No Replies

What a bummer! For a couple of years I was thinking about my own lighning detection and finally I found the Blitzortung system
and after hours, days or weeks trying to understand the technique and requirements my conclusion was, that this could work for me.
So let's order one, I thought. Holiday comes and it is thunderstorm season.

But yesterday I got feedback that there are no PCBs available anymore even for a longer time.
... maybe a lot of people thought it's holiday and it is thunderstorm season?! ;-)

I understand from the FAQ that Gerbers or PCB design files will not be available in public (which I can understand in
terms of reliability of data). We have a small facility for double layer proto boards with through hole vias at work.

I have a faint hope that anyone has some surplus. E.g. ordered too much; no time,
overestimates skills, prefered to buy a pony instead, ... ;-)

If that is the case and you have PCB you do not need, drop me a PN.

Apologizes for my pert question and thanks for reading. Hopefully I can give something useful back some time.

- Jürgen -

Edit: BTW: I am located in the Netherlands and my native language is German.

Print this item

Bad accuracy in south Sweden
Posted by: merald - 2014-07-29, 12:19 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - No Replies

Last thunderstorm a lightning strike just in my backyard of house. But maps showed a strike 20km away. What is the accuracy you could expect? Can you give input for this, or do I need to setup a station at my house?

I asked to do so, but there was no empty slots for getting one Sad

Print this item

Low effectivity
Posted by: Snicker - 2014-07-29, 12:12 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - Replies (13)

Hi Blitzortung users,

I finally got my new detector online, but I have very low Effectivity ratio. Only 2%. Why is it so low? How can I get it higher? How do I find the lowest noise spot in my house? Use noise floor and walk around with it?

Settings:
[Image: blitzortung1.JPG]

Signals:
[Image: blitzortung2.JPG]

Noise Floor:
[Image: blitzortung3.JPG]

Station ID: 1122

Thank you all for this awesome community Big Grin

Print this item

Expanding detection to nuclear events
Posted by: aigarius - 2014-07-29, 10:02 - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (1)

With grow of instability in local areas around the world and grow in technology and knowledge it slowly becomes more and more likely that non-government agents might use a nuclear device in one of the many hot spots around the world. Having an independent real-time source of information that would notify population of such events could provide huge benefits to survival of people.

Now, Blitzortung already has radio frequency monitoring stations and triangulation software with real-time output. Nuclear events produce a significant electromagnetic pulse. I am not an electrical engineer, but my guess is that such a pulse could theoretically be detectable with current Blitzortung hardware. If that is true, then it would only be a question of software changes and some kind of calibration data to add support for recognizing and displaying such information along with saving copies of raw signals for future law enforcement analysis.

I am pretty sure that this would require government cooperation to provide some information on the EM pulse profile of different nuclear events, but the public benefit might be a worthy enough cause to convince them to share the data, at least to some developers under appropriate NDAs.

Print this item

Frequency Of Operation?
Posted by: WB9SBD - 2014-07-28, 13:27 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - Replies (4)

I am curious as to what frequencies are used in these systems.

Joe WB9SBD

Print this item

Phoenix, Arizona, a hole in the coverage?
Posted by: jerrya - 2014-07-24, 04:36 - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (5)

I'm in the 85032 zip code in the US, and we are in the middle of a summer thunderstorm. It's pretty active and has lasted about 20 minutes now.

And yet, the map during this time shows (just about) nothing in Phoenix, Arizona. It is registering strikes in Canada, Mexico, Louisiana, North Dakota, ....

Earlier today, when there was no lightning here, I did see the map register strikes outside of the city about 30 miles away, and elsewhere in Arizona.

What would cause lightning strikes *not* to be mapped?

Print this item

Lightning strikes heard, but did not appear on map.
Posted by: WØTDH - 2014-07-23, 21:36 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - Replies (19)

We heard three/four strikes near us, but no indication of those on map.
( During last two T.S that passed through today )
Intensity of strikes too low or no rcvr site near enough to our location?

Tom - WØTDH

Print this item

Jameco BOM / OSHPark PCB?
Posted by: RussNelson - 2014-07-23, 16:54 - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (1)

Hi. I was wondering if anybody had set up a Jameco BOM for the parts for the hardware?
Also, OSHPark is happy to send you three copies of a board, AND you can make the PCB design public, so that anybody can order a (well, three) copy of the board just by visiting a URL.

Print this item

precision of lighting location
Posted by: Andet - 2014-07-23, 15:39 - Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics - Replies (3)

Hi
Quick but very important questions :-)
1. Some android maps use blitzortung data to show lighting position even on very big map zoom. I saw which building was hit by lighting.
How precise is lighting locating in reality?
2. At www blitzortung.org we can see growing circles at place of strike. Does the speed of circle growing reflect speed of strike sound spread?
If not, it would be great to implement it. And additionally circle would dissappear at the size where sound fades away. Of course approximately.

Print this item